The Beginning of the Holiday Season!
NORMALLY, my Christmas tree is up and decorated the day after Halloween. I’m running a bit late this year because life’s been a bit crazy. All of my Christmas stuff (including the tree) was in storage and more poor husband was working overtime this weekend. That meant that I had to rent the U-Haul and get the stuff to the house by myself. I didn’t think I could do it because I’m a total weakling…BUT I DID IT!
A Different Theme
This year I decided that I’m going to do my tree a bit different. I have an excessive collection of glass Christmas ornaments that are mutli-colored and BEAUTIFUL, but this year I want my tree to be a bit more simple an elegant. The theme will be copper, gold and white and it will have enough ornaments to look complete but not overdone. In years past, I’ve literally COVERED the tree with ornaments and tinsel to the point where you can’t even see the tree anymore.
So I spent the day today getting the tree up and fluffed and did some minor decorating around the TV. Don’t judge the fact that the Fall Wreath is still up; I realize it clashes, I’m not ready to take it down yet. 🙂
I did put up a couple of ornaments I bought with my theme in mind and I just love how they look on the tree. Interestingly, I bought these in a little shop in Asheville, NC several years before I actually moved to Charlotte. I love the colors and they way they sparkle against the tree.
Note: This post contains affiliate links which means that if you click them and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission.
Things That Make Me Feel Festive
I think what got me inspired to go and get the tree and decorations was all of the festive holiday decor going up in all the shops and the holiday commercials that are already airing. Side note: if you haven’t seen the John Lewis Christmas 2016 Commercial..you MUST! No affiliate link…it’s just a tear jerker and I love it. 🙂
Here is a list of things that make me feel all festive and ready for the Holidays to begin:
- Holiday Tea – this stackable set from “The Republic of Tea” has every flavor you need to cozy up to a good holiday movie.
- Fluffy Throw Blankets – I have TONS of throw blankets around my living room because there’s nothing better than snuggling up with a super ridiculously soft blanket on a chilly night. These blankets by Threshold at Target are so soft and for the price ($24) are an amazing value. I have this one in gray and in red.
- Festive Pajamas – I love pajamas that SCREAM Christmas and it helps that they are hooded. There are three rules for holiday jammies: they must be cozy, they must be cute, and they must be SOFT! How cute are these onesies by Boohoo? They’re only $30!
- Cooler weather – As the temperature drops, I immediately start feeling festive. We don’t get snow very often here but when we do, I LOVE it! Here’s a photo from last year:
- Anything Gingerbread. When I go to Starbucks this time of year, I usually get a Gingerbread Latte. I love everything about gingerbread; the smell, the texture and the taste! We do a gingerbread house every single year. There’s something about gluing assorted candies to a cookie house using icing as glue…ok now I’m hungry. Here’s our G-bread house from last year. Admittedly we used a kit but THIS YEAR we are making it from scratch!
What things get you in the holiday spirit? Share your favorites in the comments section below. Happy Holidays!