Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
On days that I don’t have to work, I love to spend time baking things for my family. Of course that includes the pupperoos. So I searched the internet to find a simple, yet yummy looking recipe for homemade dog treats.
I found on that used natural ingredients and tweaked it to make it my own. Most of this stuff was already in my pantry. Since at least two of my dogs tend to have tummy troubles, I wanted to be sure that whatever recipe I found (or created) would include natural ingredients.
- 1 Tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
- 8 oz. Chicken Stock
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Smooth Natural Peanut Butter
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a small bowl combine honey, coconut oil, egg and chicken stock. Whisk together until combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour and cornmeal.
- Set the stand mixer to low and slowly add the wet ingredients until smooth. Then add the peanut butter and combine until dough is combined and smooth.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to roughly 1/4″ thick for crispier biscuits or 1/2″ thick if you prefer them to be softer.
- Using whatever cookie cutter you prefer (I like the ones linked at the end of this post), cut out the cookies and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Continue this process until all of the dough is gone.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
You can roll the dough out to whatever thickness you choose. The thicker the dough, the softer the cookie. I liked mine a little thicker because I have two dogs with dental issues. I wanted them to be a bit softer so that everyone could safely enjoy them.
I baked mine a little longer than the recipe specified because I wanted them to be a little bit more crispy on the outside. So after roughly 17 minutes, I had three dogs hovering around the kitchen with their noses in the air. Somehow they knew I was baking treats for them!
The gang LOVES them! If I simply move the cookie jar on the counter, they come running to the kitchen like bats out of hell! And once I’ve handed them a treat, they’re gone in milliseconds. I would say that’s a success!